Important Updates:

This site is best viewed using the latest versions of Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and  Internet Explorer 9 or 10. For Windows XP users, please use Firefox or Chrome. For Windows 7 Users, to update to the latest version of Internet Explorer, please click here.

City News

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Post Date:05/21/2016 9:41 AM

COACHELLA, May 13, 2016 — The Coachella City Council on Wednesday approved funding for summer day camp scholarships, open swim passes and Movies in the Park, which will be provided in partnership with Desert Recreation District.

The council approved a Memorandum of Understanding between the City and Desert Recreation District to provide activities for the summers of 2016 and 2017, the cost of which is not expected to exceed $22,800 annually.

Summer day camp scholarships will be provided for children ages 5 to 14 at Bagdouma Community Center. The camp runs from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday in three week sessions from June 13 to July 1; July 5 to July 22; and July 25 to August 12.

Summer day camp scholarships are available to all income qualifying families. The city scholarship program will pay 25 percent of a single three-week session and the remaining 75 percent will be passed onto the participant unless additional supplemental financial assistance is available from the district. The standard fees are $290 per session; $110 per week; with a drop in fee of $25.

Up to 300 open swim passes will be issued to Coachella residents on a first come, first serve basis. Swim passes will provide Coachella residents with free use of Bagdouma Pool during the summer months beginning after Memorial Day weekend and ending Labor Day weekend. To qualify for an open swim pass, Coachella residents must provide a utility bill or three pieces of delivered mail and a photo ID or driver’s license.

The open swim hours are 12 to 4 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. during the months the pool is operated and staffed by the district.

Seven free “Movies in the Park” will be provided beginning at 7:30 p.m. on Friday nights, including Jurassic World on June 3; Inside Out on June 10; Goosebumps on June 17; Norm of the North on June 24; Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on July 1; Minions on July 8; and Pixels on July 15. 

Summer classes provided at Bagdouma Community Center will include: Beginning and Advanced Tae Kwon Do; Kids Zumba; Zumba; Fit after 50; Dance Play and Pretend Ballet; Beginning Ballet; and Teen Scene. Also being offered for Adults in the summer is an adult softball league.

Return to full list >>